OPTION C: EVENING SESSION FOR PARENTS, AND AFTERSCHOOL OR EVENING SESSION FOR STUDENTS
PART I: PARENT’S SESSION (90 minutes, 6:30pm-8:00pm)
- Reasons why we need to talk to children about sexual health at a young age
- 5 stages of sexual development children progress through on their way to becoming sexually mature adults
- What children should know at each stage, with specific examples of ways to explain body parts and processes
- How to provide information to children in a way they will understand and remember (and minimize embarrassment for the parent!)
- How to effectively answer the questions children ask
- How to reduce risk of child sexual abuse
- What will be covered in Body Science sessions for students
Time for open discussion and questions will be included, and we will bring a display of books and other resources. Parent session can also be held in the morning, just after student drop-off.
PART II: CHILDREN’S SESSIONS
Primaries (45 minutes)
Children will learn:
- Scientific words related to sexual health
- That reproduction usually happens when a man’s sperm joins a woman’s ovum by sexual intercourse, but that there are many different ways that families are formed. All families are unique.
- That they have ownership of their bodies
- That the baby grows in the uterus (not the stomach)
- That the baby is usually born through the vagina
- Not to pick up condoms or needles
- The basics about menstruation and nocturnal emissions (wet dreams) as clean and healthy processes
Intermediates (60 minutes)
Children will learn everything the primaries learn, plus:
- All about body changes at puberty
- Basic information about sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
- Introduction to the responsibilities of being in a sexual relationship
These sessions can be held afterschool (3:00pm-3:40pm for primaries, 3:45pm-4:45pm for intermediates) or in an evening (6:30pm-7:15pm for primaries, 7:30pm-8:30pm for intermediates). Parent attendance required.
COST: $800 + gst ($350 plus gst for parent session, $450 plus gst for afternoon/evening sessions with students). Travel fee may apply.