iMatter Empowerment Workshop focuses on specifically on digital literacy and Internet safety. Through thoughtful discussion of how young people consume the internet, workshop participants learn how to think critically about what they see and hear on social media, YouTube and online gaming. In their renowned lighthearted yet straight to the point approach, iMatter facilitators recognize the positive aspects of the internet while at the same time identify concerns such as inappropriate or offensive content, cyber-bullying, online predators and reinforcement of damaging gender stereotypes. The goal of iMatter is for participants to emerge as more informed, responsible and respectful digital citizens. And in doing so puts the ‘social’ back in ‘media’.
In this 2 hour workshop participants will:
- Learn 4 tools for internet safety.
- Identify strategies for coping with negative online interactions.
- Be reminded that what people say and do online can affect all of us.
- Develop a sense of agency to impact the actions of others in a positive way.
- Discuss the permanence and gravity of decisions made online.
- Hear personal experiences demonstrating that the effects of bullying can last a lifetime.
- Discuss the importance of empathy, kindness and compassion when interacting online.
Grade 4-7 students.
One class at a time, 3 workshops per day.
what we need
Multipurpose Room, Library or Classroom, tables and chairs for participants.
$350 for two hour program, $550 for 3 workshops in a day. Travel fee may apply.
For more information or to book workshops, contact Cath Blythe by email at email@example.com or by phone at 778-855-3009.